Posted On: March 20th, 2019 by Gloucester County Government
Our Utility Foreman position has been re-opened.
If you missed the deadline apply, don't take that chance this time!
We are looking for our next Utility Foreman to lead our team. This position performs administrative and supervisory work related to the maintenance, repair, and replacement of water and sewer lines, and servicing associated appurtenances such as water meters, valves, air release valves, and fire hydrants. Work involves use of heavy machinery and supervision of work crews excavating and replacing water pipes, repairing leaking water mains and service lines, building manholes, repairing or replacing malfunctioning water meters, raising valve boxes, and repairing and installing sewer mains. Position reports to the Utility Supervisor.
Utility Foreman - Hiring salary is $43,161.00 +/- DOQ.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises and directs the work of crew members assigned to the distribution and collections systems; reviews and verifies time-sheets and leave requests; coordinates training; evaluates work performed and ensures job sites are restored to pre-disturbance conditions upon completion of assignments; and completes employee performance evaluations.
- Supervises and inspects the installation, maintenance, and repair of water and sewer lines including installation of water and sewer taps.
- Plans, oversees, and performs routine maintenance of all distribution and collection equipment, tools, and trucks/vehicles; ensures maintenance is performed according to prescribed schedule. Orders parts and materials for repair operations and maintains inventory quantities.
- Plans, oversees, and performs routine mowing, clearing, trimming, and general grounds maintenance of the right of way of Spring Hill Farm Road/Reservoir Ridge Road, Beaverdam Lane, the dam and emergency spillway at Beaverdam Reservoir, three (3) elevated storage tanks, water/sewer easements, and former well sites still owned by Gloucester County.
- Exercises hydrants, valves, and air release valves in the water distribution and/or wastewater collection systems annually.
- Investigates customer complaints about the wastewater collection system and clears sewer line stoppages in County lines.
- Responds to customer complaints and calls regarding leaks, low water pressure, and discolored water.
- Repairs manholes; straightens or repairs valves, valve boxes, air release valves and fire hydrants; clears blocked mains and services; and may test repairs by flushing with water.
- Inspects department work-sites to ensure OSHA compliance.
- Supervises, performs, and documents proactive inspection and maintenance of County wastewater collection systems in accordance with the Management Operations Maintenance (MOM) - Plan approved by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.
- Operates vacuum truck, excavation equipment, dump trucks (with or without trailers), and trenching machine, as needed.
- Responds to after-hours calls on nights, weekends, and holidays, if needed.
- Coordinates waterline repairs with water treatment plant staff, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Possession of a high school diploma/GED.
- 5 years of experience in water and sewer line installation and repair, with one (1) to two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Possession of a Commercial Driver's License (CDL), with a Class A endorsement; possess and maintain a driving record that meets established Gloucester County Driving Standards.
- Pass a post-offer, pre-employment physical examination. Employee may be subject to subsequent physical examinations to ensure he/she meets job-related physical requirements.
To be considered for this position, a completed application with a minimum of 3 professional references must be listed on application. (Note: Professional references are individuals who can attest to your job related knowledge, skills and abilities while working or in a volunteer capacity and are not family or personally related. Professional references should include job title, company name and address, phone numbers and email address if available.)
For complete job description and to apply on-line, visit our website at www.gloucesterva.jobs
Gloucester County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EMPLOYEE UTILIZATION IN ADVERSE WEATHER AND EMERGENCY CONDITIONS
All Gloucester County employees are subject to being assigned to specific positions and tasks during a "Declared Emergency" as support personnel, by the County Administrator, the Emergency Management Director, or the Emergency Operations Plan (EOP). Once assigned, this would be the same as a regular work assignment and all policies and procedures for duty assignments apply. (Please see Gloucester County Administrative Policy 101.1 - Employee Utilization in Adverse Weather and Emergency Conditions.)
Deadline: Open Until Filled!
Contact: Human Resources