Posted On: January 14th, 2019 by Gloucester County Government
Hiring salary is $100,668 +/- DOQ.
This position is open until filled. However, all interested applicants are encouraged to apply; review of applications will begin February 1st.
Gloucester County is looking for a knowledgeable, innovative and customer service oriented individual to be the County Assessor working to lead the Real Estate Assessment department of 5 highly engaged and dynamic full-time employees. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Gloucester County is a full service local government, providing schools, libraries, law enforcement, planning and zoning, parks and recreation, utilities, E911 and other services to 37,000 residents over 225 square miles. The County's FY19 General Fund budget is $63 million. The last re-assessment conducted produced an assessed value of real property over $4 billion, which provided $29 million in revenue to the General Fund. Currently re-assessments are done biennially. However, it is a legislative priority for the Board of Supervisors to include the ability for a triennial reassessment.
The Department of Real Estate Assessment is approximately 10 years old with a fully implemented CAMA system, Vision, scheduled for upgrade to the latest iteration in March. The goals of the department are to effectively produce a quality reassessment of all real property based on fair market value, assuring uniformity throughout the different classifications of property assessed in the County, with the result being fair and even distribution of the tax burden among all property owners.
The work environment at Gloucester is fast-paced, performance based incorporating both public and private sector best practices, and fun infused. You can expect regular and constructive feedback, development opportunities, great benefits, excellent co-workers, and engaged leaders at every level. You will have opportunities to: be mentally stimulated; use problem solving skills; implement industry best practices; be an important part of a fun, friendly and efficient team; and be a daily resource maintaining the trust and integrity developed by the department with our citizens, elected officials, and with our county employees.
Examples of Duties:
Click the link below to review the job description for our Assessor position:
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree in Real Estate, Economics, Business or Public Administration, or a related field required; Master's degree preferred.
- Six (6) to nine (9) or more years of progressively responsible experience in assessment and appraisal with considerable experience working with complex databases and CAMA systems, including three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Successful completion of core course curriculum of the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO).
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written, and ability to maintain positive public relations is required.
- Possession of a valid driver's license; possess and maintain a driving record that meets established Gloucester County Driving Standards.
- Certification as Certified Assessment Evaluator (CAE) by the IAAO; Certified General Real Estate Appraisal License issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation; or meet the qualifications prescribed by and be certified as a professional assessor by the Virginia Department of Taxation or ability to be certified within twelve (12) months of employment required.
- Pass a post-offer, pre-employment physical examination and may be subject to subsequent physical examinations to ensure he/she meets job-related physical requirements.
For complete job description and to apply on-line, visit our website at www.gloucesterva.jobs.
Deadline: Open Until Filled!
Contact: Human Resources